Friday

New Transformer Aesthetics Part II - Transformers On-Going

In a previous installment of Castle Geek Skull I talked about Don Figueroa's new movie-injected Transformer comic art. My general feelings were that even though Don claims to just be experimenting - it's fairly clear the aim is to detail the bots more like the ones found in the live action Transformers movie. I don't feel that translates too well to the page, and it actually feels a bit strange for the G1 Transformers, especially the supposedly "heroic" Autobots. Should those guys really have freaky, skeletal faces?

Since then, an on-going Transformers comic with that art style has been announced, and with each bit of news and promo art released - the new look is almost always the dominant aspect of forum discussion, especially the faces.

Given how often it comes up that people are a little iffy about them - I wondered if smoothing the faces out a bit, but perhaps not completely as simple as before, would look more "appropriate" for G1 bots. Enter Photoshop:


Well. It certainly takes away the whole ARGH I AM A SCARY KILLER ROBOT vibe. I think that's important.

Do I think Don should actually change what he's doing though? Well, maybe I'd like that, as would many others, but really, so what? By all means, he should do whatever he feels is right. After all, a lot of Transformers fans scoffed at the first promo shot of Transformers Animated Optimus Prime, only to soon grow to love the show, the toys, and yeah, even its general aesthetic. Guilty as charged! So, perhaps this new comic style for TFs will grow on me and all of the rest of us as well. However, I still hope the whole reason for the new look isn't some sign of a forthcoming brand shift that accommodates the Bay movie look over all else. Please, let's keep that it's own separate entity.

2 comments:

  1. The one on the right actually looks much better to me. I've seen the promo art, and honestly, Ironhide was the one I thought the new facial style didn't work on. He looks like he wants to eat my brains or something. Overall, I felt the rest looked okay. It'll take some getting used to though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found that Megatron looked ok with that style of face. At least it reflects his villainous personality. It looks a bit bizarre for the Autobots though.

    ReplyDelete