Thursday

Transformers Generation 1 Toyline: Autobot Highlights

Destined for pasty shoulders everywhere.

Hey you crazy kids, it's time to throw down with the Autobot side of my Transformers Generation 1 toyline highlights! My affections might lean towards the Decepticons, but there are still more than enough lovable 'Bots to go around. Now, journey with me through each year of the original TF toyline as I struggle to decide which releases are my favorites!

Disclaimer, Part II: There's no need to freak if I leave out one of your preferred 'Bots. Everyone has their own taste and I'm merely sharing mine. Blah blah, let's get to it!

1984: Optimus Prime

Picking a favorite from the 1984 Autobot assortment is actually quite difficult. Part of me would love to go with Prowl, Jazz, Mirage, Sideswipe, or even Hound. I don't want to immediately jump to the obvious choice, but I can't help it; I'll always have a soft spot for Optimus Prime. His original toy has an undeniable presence that really sets him apart. It's not hard to see why Hasbro assigned this guy the leadership role.

1985: Perceptor

1985 introduces another Sophie's Choice. Between the onslaught of new deluxe cars, Blaster, and the amazing Dinobots, there was lots to love in the Autobot camp. After much deliberation, I've managed to narrow my choice down to Perceptor. First of all, the microscope mode actually works (albeit in a limited capacity.) That sort of ambition goes a long way! However, the best thing about Perceptor is his well sculpted and beautifully colored robot mode. I think this toy is absolutely solid, and it still holds up.

1986: Defensor

The 1986 Autobot assortment bums me out. Outside of Hot Rod, I've never been fond of the toys based on the new Transformers: The Movie cast. Beyond that, Metroplex and Sky Lynx have some charm, but my favorite toy from '86 is Defensor.

The Protectobots that comprise him look nice as a team, and their combined form is a solid example of the "Scramble City" style (where the four smaller members can become whichever limb you choose.) Plus, Defensor is worth highlighting on concept alone. Come on, this is a giant robot made of emergency response vehicles! Ambulances and rescue choppers are easy to root for, and that goes double once you're using them to punch evil robots in the face.

1987: Grotusque

Guess what? The 1987 'Bots can kick the 1986 'Bots' asses. There. I said it. While this year brought us the best Autobot combiner (Computron), the biggest G1 toy (Fortress Maximus), and a rad assortment of Headmasters, I have to take a crazy left turn and pick the Monsterbot Grotusque as my absolute favorite. I'm sure that might puzzle some of you, but look, I'm head over heels for this guy's robot mode.

As I've mentioned before, I love that the '87 and '88 toys started carrying an aesthetic much closer to the stylized character models from the cartoon and comics. With his armored shoulders, blocky feet, and broad chest, Grotusque is dialed right into the quintessential Transformer style. Points must be awarded for the manly pink color scheme as well. The appeal pretty much ends with "cool robot mode," but this is a case where that's more than enough!

1988: Powermaster Optimus Prime

Ah geez, again? I'm sorry (no I'm not), but the other Autobot releases from 1988 have a hard time competing with Powermaster Optimus Prime. This is quite a substantial update. I think the original Optimus' robot and vehicle modes are much nicer, but with the additional base mode, gigantic freaking weaponry, and powerhouse super robot configuration, this is a toy with some serious play value.

The Japanese Masterforce version is better overall with its richer colors and improved super robot mode, but it technically represents a different character. Hasbro's release might not be quite as nice, but it's still an incredibly memorable toy that tons of TF fans will always hold dear.

1989: Groundshaker

The larger Autobot toys from this year weren't all that amazing, but the Micromasters definitely picked up the slack. It would be easy to throw this entry away on Erector, but no, 1989 is all about Groundshaker. This guy is a cool little robot with a sleek jet mode. The real selling point here is the huge ATV however. The base configuration is serviceable at best, but Groundshaker looks absolutely unstoppable manning the primary vehicle mode.

1989 B: Star Saber

I highlighted Deszaras as my favorite Decepticon from Transformers: Victory, and his Autobot foe Star Saber is right on par. With tons of different modes and an interesting "Brainmaster" gimmick, Star Saber hits the same "fun to play with" mark as Powermaster Optimus / Super Ginrai before him. In fact, he might even exceed it. The large scale also gives Star Saber some serious shelf presence. When you factor in the ability to combine into the impressive Victory Saber form with Victory Leo, the end result is an absolute winner of a toy.

1990: Rollout

While Skyfall has an impressively sleek Gundam aesthetic similar to that of my 1990 Decepticon highlight Banzai-tron, Rollout has always been my favorite Autobot Action Master. The incredible head design is probably the leading factor. The classic orange and blue color scheme is also quite striking. It's that simple.

1990 B: The Powered Masters

I'm going to basically gloss over the Transformers: Zone Autobots here. The "Powered Masters" crew (Dai Atlas, Road Fire, & Sonic Bomber) are all nice looking robots, but their appeal doesn't go much further. The "Big Powered" combined mode is notable, but it looks a bit too hodgepodge despite its interesting silhouette. Maybe I'd dig these guys more if their sculpt work was more refined.

1991: Omega Spreem

Remember how "Action Masters" are Transformers that can't transform? The European 1991 assortment brought us the "Action Master Elites": Action Masters with alt modes. That doesn't make much sense, but hey, the "Elite" Omega Spreem is amazing all the same. He has the ridiculous spin attack of doom, a beautifully obscene '90s color palette, and an extreme talent for smooth talkin' the ladies. No joke.

1991 B: Grandus

The Return of Convoy Japanese exclusives from '91 are a bit too simple for my tastes. Star Convoy's design is alright, but I see a lot of unfulfilled potential in his toy. The same could be said of Sky Garry. When it comes to Grandus, well, at least he has the whole "too ridiculous not to love" thing going for him. Sure, he's basically a glorified Star Convoy accessory, but the robot mode is so simply engineered that it's charming. Seriously, he's basically just a giant rectangle!

1992: Rotorstorm

The "Turbomaster" Rotorstorm is a solid toy that was unfortunately a European exclusive. The mold itself was released to North America several years later as Sandstorm in the short lived Machine Wars line, but it pales in comparison given the gorgeous color scheme of the original. There's something about the pink and blue combination that I really love.

1993: Ironfist

If it weren't plagued by crumbly gold plastic syndrome, I would have highlighted Pyro here. As is, 1993's star toy has to be Ironfist. (I'll let you in on a secret; I'm letting his appearances in the IDW Last Stand of the Wreckers comic skew my decision a bit. Shh, don't tell.) His "visible tracer missile launcher" is hilariously gigantic and all too appropriate for a weaponry expert. Even with skinny little arms, this guy looks plenty tough. Overall, Ironfist is definitely one of the biggest must-haves of this weird "kind of G2 but still technically G1" assortment.

I already threw around some super mushy thoughts regarding the Transformers franchise's progression after it moved on to Generation 2 and beyond in the Decepticon Highlights post. There's no need to retread that, but I will say that looking back over the original Generation 1 Transformers has been tons of fun. I hope that going over these highlights with me has stirred up some warm memories of your own!

Yay, positive vibes! For updates on future geek-outs, follow me on Twitter. My Facebook page could also use some love! Roll out and such!

1 comment: