Saturday

The Only Christmas Video Game I've Ever Played Is Elf Bowling

AHHHHHHHHHH!

Somehow, I've only recently learned that there are a metric ton of Christmas themed video games out there. I'm not even exaggerating. There's even a Christmas Shopping Simulator! Their ubiquitous nature is hardly surprising, but they still managed to fly under my radar aside from one: NStorm's Elf Bowling from 1998.

I'm certain that Elf Bowling is one of those games that just about everyone found themselves sitting in front of at some point or another. I even saw my grandfather playing it at once. I know for sure that I didn't spend too much time with it, but its cartoony graphics and silly voice-overs remain memorable many years later.

The appeal of Elf Bowling's innocent humor and easily picked up gameplay ultimately became the grounds for a modestly successful franchise. I had no idea it lived on beyond the initial release, but there were actually several sequels and a Nintendo DS port. Bizarrely, there was even an animated movie adaptation! What the what?

Nope. There are no words.

It's been quite amusing to find out Elf Bowling was milked to that point. I can't imagine anyone out there actually clamored for sequels or a feature length adventure. Just look at the DS release, which was almost universally hated. Even so, I remember the first installment of the series quite vividly despite only playing it briefly. The premise is undoubtedly simple, but it managed to travel quite a ways from its humble freeware origins. There must be something to that.

"Elf, elf, baby" indeed.

Future Castle Geek-Skull updates can be found on Twitter & Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment