Wednesday

Mario Kart 8 Won Me Over by Character Roster Alone

Mario Kart 8 Anti Gravity
Mario Kart 8 Anti-Gravity racing in action

Everything I've seen regarding the upcoming Mario Kart 8 looks perfectly promising. Anti-gravity racing? Sounds fun! Customizable tournaments? Good idea! However, I wasn't exactly jumping at the chance to play it until I saw the new character roster all together on the game's official site:

Mario Kart 8 Character Lineup
Koopalings and Baby Rosalina and Pink Gold Peach, oh my!

What a wonderfully colorful and fun looking bunch! The fantastic character designs are one of the driving factors of my continued interest in the Mario franchise. You give me a roster like this to pick from and I wouldn't even care if all of the tracks just go straight for 5 minutes. Ok, that flirts pretty dangerously with hyperbole, but I'm sure you get my point!

There is at least some truth there however. My last actual experience with a Mario Kart game was the well renown Double Dash, and while playing with friends and learning all of the track secrets was a blast, filtering through all of the characters definitely helped hold my interest in sitting down to play it time and time again. Provided there are enough interesting differences between them, I can easily see the trend continuing with nĂºmero 8.

Between the excellent new character additions (especially The Koopalings from Super Mario Bros. 3) and the new Nintendo Direct video, I'm feeling much more hyped for Mario Kart 8 (set for release on May 30, 2014 in North America) than I ever expected. You win this time, Nintendo. You win this time.

For future Castle Geek-Skull nonsense, follow on Twitter @castlegeekskull & give a "like" on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment