Friday

My Free Comic Book Day Confession

Free Comic Book Day Batman
Sad Batman is sad.

While I may be the type of guy that can wax poetic about Kenner action figures and how awesome it is that my Transformers: the Movie VHS looks battle-scarred after frequent childhood use, there are some ways in which I've completely failed at this whole "geek" thing. The first step to overcoming a problem is admitting you have it, right? Well then, I suppose it's time I fess up:

I've never participated in Free Comic Book Day.

Free Comic Book Day Meme
For shame!

Oh noes. Oh noes indeed. Despite years of admiring the hauls of others and loving the prospect of potentially finding some great sale item that helps me chip away at my growing "I'll get to that later" list, I've always found some reason not to even bother. Why, you ask? Well, uh...

I'm not sure it's ever been a conscious thing. There are certainly more reasons to actually participate than not. One of the biggest, all-caps, fireworks-worthy reasons is to actually support my local comic shop! Of course I want to do that! Plus, I know I'd dig seeing which of the current lineup of free comics I could get my hands on given my general love of collecting. Perhaps missing out year after year has merely been a random fluke. Either way, I can't help feeling a bit guilty somehow.

Thinking over all of this has inspired me to look up my nearest comic shop's Facebook profile, and it turns out they do indeed have a few things planned for this year's Free Comic Book Day (which is tomorrow, May 3rd, 2014.) It's pretty much what you'd expect, but the "Special appearances by Spider-Man, Batman, Star Wars Tusken Raider, & more!" blurb might have actually won me over. I would hug a Tusken Raider so damn hard, and you bet your blog-readin' bottom I'd totally belt out that crazy scream while doing so.

Star Wars Tusken Raider Sand People
Tusken Raiders are love. Urrk-urrk-urrrrk~

Will I really make tomorrow my first Free Comic Book Day however? I only make promises if I know I can keep them, but I can dole out "maybes" with the best of them. Maybe I will venture into the world of Sand People cosplay. Maybe I won't. Either way, at least I'll have given it some serious consideration this time. Even the tiniest shred of progress is progress all the same.

Update: I totally went!

That about does it! If you want to share your Free Comic Book Day 2014 adventures with me, hit me up in the comment section, on Twitter @castlegeekskull, or on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment