Friday

Comic Book Michelangelo Toy Review (Ninja Turtles 2012)

Master of Dual-Nunchucks!

If I buy one Ninja Turtle action figure, I pretty much have to grab the remaining three. I'd bet a hefty sum of cash that I'm far from alone. After raving about Playmates' semi-recent Original Comic Book Raphael, the inevitable quest for his brothers began. First up is Michelangelo. Review mode, activate!

The Playmates Comic Turtles all share the same base body. While unique sculpts would be nice, it's actually unnecessary since the characters were originally indistinguishable aside from their weaponry. Mike does have his own headsculpt however, and it perfectly captures the trademark grimace.

The picture is a bit on the cruddy side, but the back view shows off some nice detail. From head to toe, the emulated cross-hatching is used to great effect. This does a lot to sell the 1980's comic book vibe.

These are my boomsticks.

As with Raph, the weaponry here is unfortunately the biggest downside. Michelangelo's unpainted nunchaku are stuck in a small little arch that limit the toy's natural poses. Regardless, they're acceptable for the price-point.

Of course, you can always employ the aid of a figure stand (like the Bandai Tamashii Stage pictured above) to enhance your display options. I almost had to hold my breath to get this "flying kick" pose to stay in place, but it made for a rad photo op!

Bros.

It should come as no surprise, but Michelangelo looks pretty sweet displayed next to his brother. I couldn't help arranging them in some mock "practice" poses. I might have made a few battle sound effects under my breath in the process.

I once heard that this kicking and punching business is all in the mind.

It's time to go shred the Shredder!

Ultimately, Michelangelo isn't quite as solid of a stand-alone figure as Raphael given the limitations of the nunchucks, but he's easily worth a purchase. His headsculpt hits the ideal TMNT aesthetic spot-on and he looks fantastic displayed alongside his co-stars. The Official Castle Geek-Skull Plastic-Crack Scoring Guide gives him 4.5 chocolate fudge and sardine pizzas out of 5!

Leonardo and Donatello, here I come.

Playmates' TMNT 2012 Original Comic Book Michelangelo is now available from Amazon.com:

For future Castle Geek-Skull updates, follow us on Twitter & Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment