Sunday

The Transformers Brand Had A Strong Showing At Toy Fair 2015!

Looks like he can deal with it now, ho ho ho.

I'm almost certainly biased in the matter, but I'm of the firm belief that the Transformers brand completely stole the show at Toy Fair 2015. In effort to prolong my robot-fueled high as long as possible, I'm going to pour over as many of the eye-catching new reveals and official promo images as I can. Tag along, won't you?

Combiner Wars Voyager Proctectobot Hot Spot

While the GDO Hot Spot made from Universe Inferno was an acceptable placeholder, the firetruck Protectobot leader now has a fantastic original sculpt on the way. Once again, patience pays off!

Combiner Wars Deluxe Protectobot Rook

The Combiner Wars Protectobots also have an original team member on deck: the incredibly alluring Rook! The headsculpt is — if you'll excuse me — flat-out bitchin', and he can mount weapons (and even Defensor's gigantic hands) on his fists. I'm sold!

Combiner Wars Deluxe Protectobot First Aid

This famous pacifist 'Bot comes to us by way of an Off-Road remold. It's a bit silly for him to have an axe, but he looks wonderful all the same.

Combiner Wars Deluxe Protectobot Blades

I might just give First Aid's axe to this dude; he loves to fight! There's not much new here given heavy re-use from the Aerialbot placeholder Alpha Bravo, but it's pretty clear the base mold was probably meant for Blades from the start.

Combiner Wars Deluxe Protectobot Streetwise

Oh, geez. I'm fond of the whole team, but Streetwise would probably be my choice if I were only getting one of the Combiner Wars Protectobots. No offense to the likes of Prowl, but I'm not sure law enforcement has ever looked this stylish in the Autobot ranks.

Combiner Wars Legends Protectobot Groove

Hasbro will undoubtedly lose some of the die-hards over downgrading Groove from a limb component to a mere chest-plate. The smaller size makes sense for his motorcycle vehicle form however, and I actually welcome the funky new take on the robot mode.

Combiner Wars Defensor
Combiner Wars Protectobot Defensor

Man, Combiner Wars Defensor has quite a bit of heft to him. The original toy is my personal favorite of the 1986 Autobot assortment, so of course I'm very glad to see it given a worthy modern update.

Combiner Wars Cyclonus
Combiner Wars Voyager Cyclonus

This one is pretty strange. The existing Classics Cyclonus has held up well over the years, so it's not as if a new version was exactly clamored for. Still, you can't go wrong with that sexy-ass futuristic jet design.

Oh, and his combiner-mode torso forms Galvatronus: an obvious G1 Galvatron homage. That's weird as well, but perhaps it'll at least make for a cool toy.

Combiner Wars Legends Viper

Viper is a beautiful homage to the G.I. Joe Cobra Rattler vehicle (and its pilot, Wild Weasel.) Given the sad state of the Joe franchise, I'm absolutely beaming to see it get some love from the guys on the Transformers team.

Combiner Wars Legends Warpath

It's corny, but I can't fight the urge to just list a bunch of onomatopoeias whenever I see a Warpath toy. Feel free to join in. Here goes: Bam! Boom! Pow!

Transformers Generations Leader Ultra Magnus
Combiner Wars Leader Ultra Magnus with Minimus Ambus

Leader Class Ultra Magnus might be the biggest highlight of Toy Fair 2015 for me — Transformers or otherwise! The inclusion of modern ideas from the IDW comics (complete with an awesome Minimus Ambus figure) has made for what might be the swankiest version of the beloved City Commander to date.

Transformers Combiner Wars Constructicons
Combiner Wars Constructicons (Bonecrusher, Hook, Long Haul, Mixmaster, Scavenger, Scrapper)

The new Constructicons are fantastic representations of the oldschool designs with just enough original flair. Some compromises were made here/there for the sake of the combination, but I think they make for quite a kick-ass team.

Combiner Wars Constructicon Titan Devastator

We'd already been spoiled on the combined Devastator, but I think it looks even more promising now that higher quality images are available.

Robots in Disguise Fixit
Robots in Disguise Legion Fixit

The frantic new Mini-Con Fixit is getting the Legion Class treatment, allowing for the best possible scale when displaying him alongside the Robots in Disguise Warrior class toys.

Robots in Disguise Deployers Fracture with Airrazor

Though held back by the Deployer gimmick, this is the best looking of the two Fracture toys revealed thus far. This release is also the only way to get the rad Airrazor Mini-Con.

Robots in Disguise Ratbat
Robots in Disguise Mini-Con Ratbat

I'm always down for new Ratbat toys! This re-imagined Robots in Disguise Mini-Con version is likely to be one of the line's most highly clamored for releases amongst longtime franchise fans.

Robots in Disguise Mini-Con Velocirazor

You're tellin' me they're putting out a funky teal dinosaur named freakin' Velocirazor? Yeah, I'm all over that.

Robots in Disguise Mini-Con Sawback

Sawback doesn't have quite the same level of quirkiness as some of the other new Mini-Cons, but he's more than cool enough to make up for it.

Robots in Disguise Mini-Con Slipstream

While Robots in Disguise Drift is more than capable of standing on his own, I doubt I'll be able to resist grabbing his Mini-Con partner Slipstream. It would appear that I'm weaker to samurai 'Bots than I realized.

Robots in Disguise 2015 Optimus Prime
Robots in Disguise Mega Optimus Prime

I'm pretty sure "Mega Optimus Prime" will only be able to stand around statically given the one-step transformation, but the general aesthetic reminds me of the late Japanese G1 Autobots and the Brave franchise. Count me in!

Robots in Disguise Thunderhoof
Robots in Disguise One-Step Thunderhoof

Since Thunderhoof is my favorite new Transformer, I'm pretty much obligated to take the plunge on this thing. While I'd prefer a more well-rounded Warrior class release, sometimes you just have to take what you can get.

Robots in Disguise Jazz
Robots in Disguise Warrior Jazz

Now-inevitable hollow parts aside, Robots in Disguise Jazz is looking mighty damn fine.

Robots in Disguise deluxe Sideswipe
Robots in Disguise Warrior Sideswipe

The face might be a little dopier than I'd like, but Sideswipe and "cool" are almost always synonymous. The vehicle mode caught my eye immediately, and I usually don't give a single damn about such things.

That's a lot of awesome transforming plastic coming our way, and I didn't even list everything! Transformers toys haven't made this much of a bang at Toy Fair in quite a while. As a lifelong franchise fan, I'm feeling pretty freakin' hyped right now.

If you want to catch future Castle Geek-Skull updates, feel free to follow along on Twitter & Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment