Thursday

The "Mikaela Factor" in Transformers 3

Everyone wants to be heard. Everyone wants their opinion to be valued. I've tried saying these things on the TFW2005 movie subforum but damn if no one seems to be paying attention. So, I'll post these thoughts here, on a blog that no one reads. Ha! It makes all the sense in the world!



There's a lot of news that seems to indicate Megan Fox is definitely gone from the movie. This leaves fans wondering what will become of her character in the film. In my opinion - they need to just use the new stick-thin, inexperienced actress (bleh) as the same character. It's the lesser of two evils. Some say they can just give Shia LaBeouf's Sam a throwaway "oh she left me, boy it sucks" line, like at the beginning of The Karate Kid part II...and III for that matter (lawl), but I think it would feel like a major cop out.

Sudden breakups are not unrealistic by any stretch, but this is movie land, and this is a story, a large chunk of which has already been given to this particular character. I feel that having Mikaela just ditch Sam, only for him to move on immediately would waste all the time spent with Mikaela on screen in the first two films. There's a lot of human shit in these stories already, why do we need yet another all new character to introduce, with an all new romance subplot in tow?

Then of course, there's the "well...they should just kill her off!" fans. Seeing as we do have a new "leading lady" cast apparently, what would the effect of that death really have? Is she gonna kick the bucket only for The Beef to shrug "oh well" and leap into the arms of the new chick on the rebound? That's yet another incredibly screwy situation.

Again, although it's certainly not unheard of in the real world, I think it would cheapen the Sam/Mikaela relationship. It's funny that I'm arguing for it at all because it's honestly an element of the story thus far that I don't even care about, but, what can we do, it's already been given a fair amount of attention. Given that, I'd rather them not toss the relationship with cheap, easy outs.

If they just want to kill Mikaela off, fine. I think it's a by the numbers, go-to plot device that too many writers use as a crutch when they want something dramatic to happen in their big final chapter, but it's not terrible. I say, ok, if you need to do that, at least don't cheapen it by having her love interest move on to a new fling already within the same flick. I'm sure there are ways to make it work, such as perhaps doing a time jump after her death, but even then, I'm not really sold.

It's no secret that I'm one of those "perhaps there's a touch too much human stuff going on" fans, and I don't really welcome any new developments that make any human-goings-on seem even more pointless in retrospect. I think you could easily argue that Mikaela was never fully necessary to begin with, and using her twice only to throw her away makes the time already spent on her feel even more wasted. I think that in most situations, losing the character would bring forth a lot of crap for the writers to deal with if they intend to keep her part in the story relevant.

Just recasting so as to keep the Mikaela character is the way to go. Easiest route by far.

No comments:

Post a Comment