Monday

Transformers Digibash: Classics RiD Scourge/Black Convoy/Nemesis Prime

Generation 2 Laser Prime is being updated in the "Reveal the Shield" Transforers subline. Here's a look for the imaginary reader that hasn't seen it yet:

The G2 toy this is based on was quite popular. At the time, it was one of the best articulated and most fun to play with Optimus Prime toys ever released and allowed the Generation 2 toy line to go out with a degree of pride. It still holds up today as a common favorite amongst Transformers fans.

In 2000, the mold became even more popular when redecoed with a sinister black, grey, red, and oddly...teal color palette as the "evil Optimus Prime" Black Convoy from Car Robots, later renamed "Scourge" for Hasbro's western adaptation Robots in Disguise. It would seem the new version of the design seen above could quite naturally follow in the original's footsteps. I decided to see what that might look like in Photoshop, as I often tend to do. Behold:

Given the crappy nature of the source photo, I had to do a bit of drawing, but the idea comes across well. I actually think these colors look just as wonderful on this new mold as they did on the original Laser Prime. I sincerely hope Hasbro/Takara can give us something similar. I'm constantly battling to calm my toy buying, but this is one I simply wouldn't be able to pass up.

Update - Reveal the Shield Optimus is now available for $14.99 and free shipping for Prime members on Amazon.com:

No comments:

Post a Comment