Wednesday

Transformers Hand Drawings

Boredom.

Like everyone, I just flat out get bored sometimes. Maybe I'm somewhere I don't want to be. Maybe I'm horrifically lost in my own thoughts. Maybe I'm experiencing that awesome "First World Problem" of wanting to play any of the numerous video games I own and not being able to decide which one! Whatever the scenario, my go-to time waster is often to draw on anything I can. Often times I will have a pen or sharpie but no form of paper. However, these urges to sketch can not be deterred by such trivial obstacles. Not a chance! In these instances, I just draw right on my freakin' hand.

As one of my greatest lifelong interests, the Transformers franchise is one of my most frequent hand-drawing subjects. Here's a compilation for your viewing pleasure and/or mockery:

This Unicron was one of the first I was able to photograph, having just gotten an ancient cell phone from the Jurassic Period. I'm sure a lot of the details from the design are wrong, but are you really going to hate on me for how a sketch on my hand turned out?

Here's Animated Lockdown, the Lance Henriksen-voiced badass who captured the hearts of pretty much everyone.

Generation 1 Computron has always been one of my favorite combiners. The helmet is fairly BS'd here, and I'm not even sorry about it.

Here's another fan favorite, Beast Wars Megatron. The drawing has some issues (let's go ahead and assume they all will, ok?) but he's always a fun subject. I wish I'd gotten the rubber ducky in there somehow.

Let's return to the dreadful camera phone with this drawing of Ratchet from Prime. This guy was one of the biggest reasons I was able to make it through that show. The awesome performance of Jeffrey Combs certainly had a lot to do with it. He sold lines like "...RED Energon?!" like no one else possibly could.

I really don't like the way I drew Optimus Prime here, but screw it. I'm making you look at it anyway.

The same could be said for Galvatron. I don't even like the IDW Comics design that much, but at least the sharpened edges are interesting to draw (and totally get wrong.)

This Laserbeak is at least half-inspired by his awesome and unfortunately canceled Robot Heroes toy. That thing would have been the centerpiece of my entire collection.

This compilation would have been just as rad if I'd only included Beast Wars characters, but unfortunately, Megatron will only be joined by Silverbolt.

Let's wrap up with Jhiaxus, featured in his Generation 2 design. As with a lot of the G2 art, the original Jhiaxus "character model" was quite EXTREME. He looked a bit like your standard Decepticon seeker (meaning the body type of Starscream, Thundercracker, and Skywarp) completely jacked up on steroids. As such, he is stupidly fun to draw.

Phew, that's enough horrible sketches for now. As often as I draw all over myself, I'm sure there will be another "Hand Drawings" installment sooner than later!

If you'd like to keep an eye on when that might be, I regularly send updates about the site through Twitter and Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment