Thursday

DC Collectibles Batman: The Animated Series Figure Wishlist

So many choices.

I've been talking about the upcoming DC Collectibles Batman: The Animated Series and New Batman Adventures action figures left and right. I can't help it, they just look too freaking good! I've even considered shirking all responsibility just to Pre-Order them, and now I'm even imagining how the assortment might expand. To keep my expectations realistic, here's a small 5 character wishlist for future B:TAS and TNBA toys:

Harley Quinn:

Batman Harley Quinn

Yes, Harley Quinn is a super obvious choice. If the assortment does continue on, she will likely be one of the first announced. Still, I find that her popularity is perfectly warranted. I'll always have a serious soft spot for the original version of the character as seen in the B:TAS cartoon. The recently revealed Joker figure may well be the best of the bunch, making it impossible not to imagine an equally great new Harley figure to stand by his side.

The Ventriloquist and Scarface:

Batman Ventriloquist

Better look sharp, youse mucks! They might not be the most major players, but a new take on the animated Ventriloquist and Scarface would make my life feel complete. The seemingly innocuous Arnold Wesker would be easy enough to capture in plastic, but a perfect Scarface would require some seriously high quality sculpt work. After seeing the sharp detailing on the likes of Two-Face and Man-Bat, I'm confident that DC Collectibles could nail it.

Commissioner Gordon:

Batman Commissioner Gordon

I think B:TAS did a fine job of capturing Commissioner Gordon's best qualities. He might not be as toyetic as the masked heroes and villains, but his importance to the Batman mythos makes him just as essential. I'd prefer the original stockier character model for the potential figure, but either way, I'd be thrilled to have him in the lineup.

Scarecrow (New Batman Adventures):

Batman Scarecrow

The Scarecrow redesign in The New Batman Adventures might have been a bit too much of a shift for some fans, but I think the heightened creepiness worked in the character's favor. It also feels very "Mike Mignola" in style, and that's rarely a bad thing. If the sculpt and paint work could match the heavily shadowed look, I think this design would make for an awesome toy.

Alfred:

Batman Animated Series Alfred

The Efrem Zimbalist, Jr. voiced Alfred Pennyworth is easily one of my favorite versions of the character in any form of media. It hardly needs to be said, but all of the arguments that make a James Gordon figure essential are just as true here (and then some.) Since DC Collectibles' toys are targeted purely towards older plastic-crack enthusiasts, I'm sure a B:TAS Alfred figure would generate plenty of interest. I would cherish it forever.

Even though I'm ending the list there, it would be incredibly easy to continue. If I were to really have my way, the assortment will last long enough to give us Batgirl, Detective Bullock, TNBA Nightwing, Talia al Ghul, Phantasm, Riddler, and so on! There would be plenty of room for variants like an actual B:TAS design Batman (which a lot of other fans have been clamoring for thus far) as well! If there was a character model of it, I want it. I'd even take a "driving suit Alfred." Just make 'em all and I will give you all of my money!

That's about it. Keep an eye out on Twitter @castlegeekskull and Facebook for future updates!

1 comment: