Wednesday

I Actually Miss Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Slap Happy Individuals Excitedly Learning Dance.

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. got a fairly slow start that left a lot of people cold. The initial reactions were positive to mixed, with a bit more "meh" as the pilot's followup episodes rolled on. After such a warm reaction to the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies that preceded it, the show had a lot to live up to. However, it's a bit of a "backup story" by nature. It was never going to have the juiciest of juicy fan-pleasing Marvel spectacles, but some viewers might have expected a bit more. I've seen it put it this way: the show we got is less "marvel at Marvel" and more "NCIS: Marvel." I suppose it's understandable if people were a bit let down.

Still, I stuck with it, and I'm glad that I did. Sure, the show went through some growing pains, and it's obviously held back a bit by the budgetary and time constraints of network television. However, for every iffy visual effect, serviceable-at-best quick-cut action scene, or ho hum plot point, there are fun character moments, satisfying payoffs to earlier setups, and an admirable willingness to venture into slight campiness. Plus, an unexpected recurring Bill Paxton role can certainly go a long way! As the season went on and the overarching plot began to pick up steam, I found myself looking forward to each episode.

I didn't see the promos. Please tell me they had dramatic "NEXT WEEK, EVERYTHING CHANGES" narration.

After the release of Captain America: The Winter Soldier, the show got quite a push. A new episode aired each week in April, as well as the first two in May. I became rather accustomed to checking out the latest installment each Tuesday night. Last week's episode ("Beginning of the End") was the season finale, leaving me a bit bummed when I remembered there wouldn't be a new one to watch this week.

That's right. I actually miss Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

The show was renewed for a second season, so at least it's only gone for the summer. I always try to root for projects like this to succeed, so I'm hopeful that the show goes on to have a bright future. After sticking through season one, I feel Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. has a lot of potential, and I hope it goes on to resonate with an even bigger audience despite some of the initial letdown.

Should I end it there? I should end it there. You can keep an eye out for future posts via Twitter @castlegeekskull and Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment