Saturday

A Personal Note

If there's any purpose to Castle Geek-Skull, it's to share things I care about. While the likes of action figures and gaming often fit the bill, those subjects are obviously not always going to be of the highest priority. For a personal example, none of my usual content is anywhere near as important to me as my dog Rocky. If I'm going to continue writing here, I'd like to start by focusing on him.

I keep a long list of post ideas, and there were at least a few centering around Rocky. In one, I hoped to write about his amusingly large toy collection and how that relates to my own love of collecting. The impetus for bringing him up today is unfortunately not as lighthearted. He recently fell ill, and it proved to be too much for him despite the tenacity that inspired his name. Last week, I had to say goodbye.

Dismissive phrases like "just a dog" do not apply here. Rocky was a true friend. He was with me for fourteen years, and it was just the two of us at home for the last five. He was a huge, huge part of my life. Day in and day out, he was right there with me. I'm still struggling to get used to that no longer being the case.

I'm generally uncomfortable making my personal matters public, but ignoring this and jumping right back into my usual content just wouldn't feel right. Before I even attempt that, I want to honor Rocky in some way. Unfortunately, it seems impossible to think of anything that feels like enough.

I doubt I can ever find the perfect combination of words that truly convey what Rocky meant to me, but I hope I can at least impart just how much he enriched my life. Any time spent with him was often the best part of my day. He was unbelievably sweet and beautiful in every regard. While piddly coverage of video games and toys might be the usual focus here, I would trade my experiences with any of it for even one more day with him.

I love you, Rocky, and I miss you terribly. I wish I could have done more for you. Thank you so much for everything you did for me.

1 comment:

  1. There isn't a magic combination of words for expressing sympathy, either, but all I can do is say that I am really sorry for your loss, especially as someone who also shares his life with a dog. I remember you mentioning him and making some videos, too. He seemed amazingly awesome and that name. That name.

    "It ain't about how hard you hit..."

    ReplyDelete