Thursday

The Best Halloween Costume I Ever Had

Thwip.

Yes, that was me rocking a store-bought Spider-Man Halloween costume at some point in the late 80s or early 90s. Spidey was my favorite comic character at the time, so of course it was a thrill being able to masquerade as him in exchange for Tootsie Rolls and Skittles for a night. Even so, I can confidently say that this was not as good as it would get.

I'm pretty sure I was 9 years old the last time I actually went trick-or-treating, and it was very much a last minute affair. My mother and I were unexpectedly invited to tag along with my aunt and her step-kids early in the evening. With no other plans in place, we were happy to accept.

Ever resourceful, my mother managed to whip up a boxcar hobo costume for me out of nowhere. I suppose the end result was born of pure necessity, but I was more than happy to wear it. I was decked out in all sorts of worn out clothing, and I used an inside-out potato sack from a Renaissance Fair to collect my candy. I don't believe I ever had my photo taken that night, but I remember the entire getup all too well.

My humble attire might not have been as exciting as that of the Power Rangers and Wolverines that shared the streets with me that night, but it was made with love. Despite surely being exhausted after work and having little time or budget, my mother just made it freaking work and I went on to have a blast that night. As far as final outings in the trick-or-treat world go, I couldn't have asked for anything better. That homemade hobo costume will always be the best I've ever had. Thanks, Mom.

Sometimes it gets totally mushy here on the Geek-Skull Family Hour, and that's totally okay. For more CGS goings-on, please follow along via Twitter & Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment