Monday

14 of Castle Geek-Skull's Favorite Comic Book Covers of 2014

Batman #31: one of many beautiful comic book cover images from 2014.

Ever the rapscallion, Time did everything it could to keep me from enjoying comic books as much as I would have liked to in 2014. I'm far from out of the game entirely however, as I can confidently say that I kept up better than I have in a good while. I even finally got around to showing my face at Free Comic Book Day!

As I kept an eye out for the next must-have issue, tons of preview images fell before my smoldering gaze. The cover art is always front and center, and I often want everything I see based on the quality of the illustrations alone. Choosing a limited number of highlights is a daunting task, but please join me as I go through 14 of my favorite comic book covers of 2014!

Greg Capullo's Batman #31 cover proves yet again that the simplest layouts can be the most effective.

Team-up shots as seen in David Nakayama's All New Ultimates #1 cover have always done it for me.

New 52 Batwoman has had tons of brilliant art, and Rafael Albuquerque's #33 cover is a shining example.

Chris Samnee's Daredevil #1 is already a great action shot, but the use of onomatopoeias puts it over the top.

Michael Del Mundo is generally amazing. Look no further than his cover for Elektra #7.

I have to stop and admire Nimit Malavia's Fables #141 cover no matter how many times I see it.

The trippy color scheme of Nathan Fox's FBP Federal Bureau of Physics #10 is too rad for words.

Ghosted was never on my radar until issue 12's cover by Dan Panosian caught my immediate attention.

Gabriel Iumazark's Last Broadcast #5 cover is one of the most haunting of the year.

IDW is treating Samurai Jack with great respect, as seen in Kagan McLeod's beautiful cover for issue 9.

Dave Rapoza's Spider-Verse Team Up #1 cover is super fun despite the questionable yellow background.

John Romita Jr's Superman #33 cover is a powerful piece and another solid example of "less is more."

Sarah Stone's Transformers Primacy #4 cover is as stylish as Optimus vs Megatron shots come.

Daniel Acuña's Uncanny Avengers #18 cover is easily one of the most striking of the year.

Wow, talk about a Sophie's choice. I could have easily picked countless others! 2014 has been a pretty solid year as far as comic art goes, and I'm definitely looking forward to what 2015 has in store!

PS: I'd like to throw an honorable mention towards Magneto #7 for the sweet pose and Batman #36 for making Superman legitimately creepy.

For future updates, follow Castle Geek-Skull on Twitter & Facebook!

1 comment:

  1. Comic books come in action adventure, comedy, mystery, horror, science fiction, fantasy, and religious, so it really does not matter what type of stories you are interested in there is a comic book out there for every collector. City of owls review

    ReplyDelete