Tuesday

Castle Geek-Skull's Video Game Highlights of 2014

I almost beat Mega Turtle at the end of Level 3!

I couldn't find the time to play everything I wanted, but I definitely had some good times with video games this year. As 2015 looms on the horizon, there's no better occasion to look back on some of the titles I enjoyed the most. Due to what I'm sure must be extremely popular demand, I've compiled 14 of my personal gaming highlights of 2014 below! Let's get to it.

Disclaimer: Forgive me if I leave off something you found amazing; I promise I'm going to get around to catching up!

Mega Man's Final Smash from Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U is pure bliss. I'm a huge fan of the Blue Bomber, so you can imagine how bummed I've been that he hasn't gotten the best treatment in recent years. His inclusion in the latest SSB did a lot to heal those wounds.

I'm of the firm belief that Bayonetta 2 did everything right. The crazy-ass storytelling and dialogue of the original are in full force alongside all the stylishly over-the-top action you could ever want. I was especially impressed with how well the developers embraced their new Nintendo-centric home with the likes of Samus costumes and the amazing Star Fox Arwing section pictured above.

The core concept of Five Nights At Freddy's is brilliant, and its resource management gameplay takes any of the setting's inherent creepiness to new heights. I love that the animatronic characters have already become beloved gaming icons in their own right. My personal favorite is Foxy. The split second shot where he runs towards the control room is one of the most bizarre mixes of hilarious and panic-inducing that I've ever experienced.

Even with heavy hitters like Super Smash Bros. on the scene, Nidhogg held its own in the fighting game arena. Each round of fencing-based battle is incredibly intense, and the overall presentation is truly unique. It's almost as fun to watch as it is to play.

The same could be said for Goat Simulator, a game wherein chaos truly reigns supreme. It goes to the heights of absurdity and beyond. The novelty wears off within a few playthroughs, but any title that lets you crash a rooftop deadmau5 party and even embody the essence of its host is definitely something special.

Way back in January, Killer Instinct proved that Street Fighter IV isn't the only game in town when it comes to ridiculous alternate costumes. One of Jago's accessory sets homages Lion Force Voltron, easily the most famous Japanese Super Robot from the 1980s. You don't start a website called "Castle Geek-Skull" without being able to appreciate that sort of thing.

I'm pretty sure the Luigi Death Stare from Mario Kart 8 is going to be included on the vast majority of gaming highlight posts this year. It's not hard to see why this captured the imaginations of so many. I'm sure it doesn't hurt that we can easily see ourselves in Luigi given how much time he's spent in the shadow of another, but at its core is the old idiom "a picture is worth a thousand words." One look at that face and you just know the mustachioed menace is mentally spitting the most venomous "yeah, fuck you" of all-time.

Perhaps it's poor form to highlight a trailer here, but the early look at Batman: Arkham Knight gameplay from E3 was beautiful. Watching Bats survey the skyline before gliding through various levels of infrastructure for nearly a minute straight was honestly a bit breathtaking. It helps to be a fan of the character of course, but this hit that "I have to play that" nerve in just the right way.

Rogue Legacy's genealogical "choose your heir" system keeps the game fresh after each inevitable death. Your best bet at any given point might have weaknesses like impaired vision, presenting the constant need to adapt rather than simply memorizing patterns or maxing your stats. It can wear on your patience at times, but the combination or making the most of your limitations and simple trial and error makes for a challenge well worth taking on.

Dead Rising 3's "Super Ultra Dead Rising 3 Arcade Remix Hyper Edition EX Plus Alpha" DLC is essentially a giant love letter to Capcom fans. It takes what's already fun about the core game and pours on heaps of references to classic franchises like Final Fight, Dino Crisis, Street Fighter, and more. While this is definitely meant to be played co-op, there's plenty of merit in messing around aimlessly to take in the madness.

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze brings back a lot of what I loved about the original SNES DKC games and adds just the right amount of innovation. The gameplay seems to flow well despite occasionally frustrating obstacles, and its soundtrack and visuals provide some serious feel-good vibes. My favorite moment is the end of any boss fight, where DK beats the living hell from the likes of giant sea lions and baboons.

It's generally hard for me to choose such things, but Shovel Knight might be my favorite game of the year. While the initial hook is its retro style, it excels in actually rewarding you with rock-solid gameplay and a simple story that's easy to get into. I especially enjoyed the "catch her" sequences that put you up close and personal with the titular character's inner turmoil. It made me think back to Shadow's dreams from Final Fantasy VI, and that's never a bad thing.

While I initially wished there had been more "oomph" to bring in a wider audience, Capcom actually did some great things with this year's Ultra Street Fighter IV release. There was a huge push towards involving the community's input in balancing the game, and the handful of new additions definitely gave the series a boost. The icing on the cake however was the recent addition of "Omega Mode," a free DLC upgrade that gives you access to overpowered versions of the characters thrown in purely for fun.

The Silent Hills teaser P.T. made for my biggest gaming obsession of the year. After watching a playthrough on Youtube, I became completely fascinated and spent much of my downtime in the following months checking out several more and monitoring the ongoing online buzz. I elected to highlight the freaky eyeball corridors inspired by Junji Ito, but that's merely one of several standout moments. I'm very eager to see more of whatever Kojima has cooked up for the final product.

Well, that about does it! I know I've left off a big chunk of major titles here, but time was quite cruel this year. I haven't found a magic potion to rid myself of the need for sleep just yet, but here's hoping I pull it off sooner than later. Onward to 2015, kids!

For more Castle Geek-Skull, be sure to follow on Twitter & Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment