Thursday

G1 Head for Transformers Hunt for the Decepticons Seaspray

Yes, there's going to be a new Seaspray Transformer, and while it is largely like the oldschool design, a few liberties were taken. You know me, I'm hard to please when it comes to movie-inspired Transformers, but really, I don't mind the toy as it is. It's quirky, but in a good way that fits the character. The new version of the head and the mandatory "wacky feet!" really sell the whole "sea-faring Transformer" idea. However, the initial report about the toy told us it was JUST LIKE THE G1 TOY...SIMPLY BLOWN UP, and hopes were raised that it would indeed be a perfect "Classics" update, 100 percent G1. I would have really liked that. However, it simply wasn't so.





Pictures courtesy of Deceptigtar from TFW2005.com

For shits and giggles, I felt compelled to at least try a somewhat more GEEWUN version out in Photoshop. It really doesn't take much.



Seeing as the mold allows you to straighten the legs and keep the flippers folded in if you want, I focused on the head. I simply pasted a Legends Warpath mouth guard over the existing one and color corrected it. Blam-o. Definitely feels ever-so-slightly more like the gargly old Seaspray I grew up with. The execution is a little raw, but you get the idea.

Will I ever try a real version with something similar? I doubt it. My customizing generally stops at digi-bashing, but who knows. With the right amount of dry-brushing and Unicron legs...the world could be my oyster...

No comments:

Post a Comment