Monday

Streamline Pictures' Anime Promo Retrospective

If you purchased or rented any of the anime titles distributed by Streamline Pictures in the early to mid-1990's, you should find this gif immediately recognizable. Whether it was Akira, 3x3 Eyes, or Wicked City, several of their VHS releases opened with a powerhouse promotional compilation that assaulted viewers with a complete sensory overload of gorgeously slick animation set to kick-ass 8 Man After music. I remember it quite fondly. Take a moment to revisit it with me, won't you?

Looking back, I find myself trapped in the powerful grip of nostalgia yet again. Back then, anime was something I was genuinely excited about. It felt like this amazingly vibrant and seemingly cutting-edge form of entertainment, enjoyable on a multitude of levels (even that of "ooh my parents don't like me watching this" silliness.) In essence, it was still new for me, and I held it dear. All the positive adjectives you can imagine are flooding my mind right now.

My goodness. I'm starting to feel all mushy.

I haven't enjoyed anime with that level of wonder in quite some time. I really miss it. I'm still very interested in the medium, but I've put more titles on the "I'll get to that later"-list than actually sitting down to enjoy them for quite a while now. In keeping with my general state of mind these days, I'm seriously getting the urge to turn that around. As I embrace my past with anime, I'm beginning to really look forward to what's yet to come.

For updates on Castle Geek-Skull's future ventures into nostalgia, feel free to "follow" and "like" us on Twitter and Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment