Thursday

5 Geeky Cereals I Wish I Could Really Buy!

So, I regularly peruse pop-culture t-shirt sites like Teefury. Day in and day out, they feature incredibly awesome and eye-catching designs that homage properties or characters that I more than likely have interest in. The results are most often in the realm of "Whoa, that's cool!"

Lately, some of my favorite designs have been of fictional cereals that immediately call some of the more famous Kellog's brands to mind. I'm pop-culture obsessed enough to love cereal mascots and box art, so thrusting characters from other mediums like freakin' Iron Man into that format is totally up my alley. Here are five notable examples:

Ah, here's something nice and timely. The new Captain America flick (Captain America: The Winter Soldier) is a big ol' hit, which I'm very happy to see. I recently wrote about admiring the character despite not being the most die-hard fan, and that interest extends far enough for me to absolutely adore this "Cap'n Ameri-Crunch" design. It has all sorts of awesome homages that make me wish I had a real box to wake up to each morning.

This is one of Teefury's featured shirts for Friday, April 11th, so head over there to grab it if you're interested.

The ThunderCats cartoon was kind of a big deal to anyone that was a kid in the 1980s. When I look back at the old show I cringe a bit, but the characters and presentation had a lasting appeal that will always stick with me. If I could go to the grocery store and come back with a box of "Lion-O's" cereal, my life would be just a bit more awesome.

Anything "bran" related might not be quite exciting enough for Iron Man, but the name alone is an incredibly clever parody. This is serious "I wish I'd thought of that"-level stuff. I've had plenty of cruddy days that would have been much easier to get through had I taken in "two scoops of Repulsor power" in the morning.

If there was an official cereal of choice for Doctor Who fans, it'd have to be Whovi-O's. I can imagine this being controversial for fans that may have preferred previous iterations of the Doctor, but come on, this cereal comes Sonic Screwdriver-fortified!

The upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy movie means characters like Groot and Rocket Raccoon are getting some well deserved time in the spotlight. When I saw the "Groot Loops" design a little ways back, all kinds of want washed over me.

"Groot Loops" was the first cereal t-shirt design I actually caught as it went live. It impressed me so much that I had to venture deeper into the interwebs to find more. It turns out there have been many over the last few years. The five here are all by the fantastic artist Bamboota (with collaborator Elliot Fernandez on the Cap, Iron Man, and Guardians of the Galaxy designs, and WinterArtwork Illustrations on the Doctor Who design.)

If you like them as much as I do, you should seriously keep an eye on her social media pages, because it seems more amazing artwork and designs are coming all the time. Linkage, son: Check out Bamboota on Twitter, Tumblr, and Facebook.

Several of the other bad-ass geeky cereal designs featured on various shirt sites could have just as easily been included hee, so if you have a favorite that I left off, tell me all about it below, on Twitter @castlegeekskull, or on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment