Tuesday

Theater Lobby Displays: The Object of my Wide-Eyed, Geeky Desire

Grimlock Age of Extinction Lobby Standee
Grimlock from Transformers: Age of Extinction

I just came across this Transformers: Age of Extinction Grimlock lobby display courtesy of dj_67knights, and my mind flooded with all of the other awesome giant-size promotional materials I've come across in theaters over the years. I've never thought to photograph them myself, but I was at least able to scour the internets for examples. Onward:

Wall-E Theater Standee
Wall-E display courtesy of FirstShowing.net

I fell in love with the titular character of Wall-E as soon as I saw the first teaser trailer. Dude is too damn adorable. I don't recall seeing this display in person, but if I had, you can be sure I would have swooned for years and years.

Silver Surfer Movie Display
Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer display courtesy of IGN

Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer wasn't much to write home about, but this life-size Silver Surfer used to promote it certainly was. Oddly, my local theater had theirs stuffed in a corner far from view, but oh what a glamorous corner it was! There's nothing like a shiny naked man to spruce up the joint.

Simpsons Movie Couch Display
The Simspsons Movie display courtesy of Reelz

This Simpsons Movie display is one of my favorite examples of those made with movie-goer photographs in mind. The Simpsons' couch is an incredibly iconic piece of pop-culture, and allowing fans to have their photo taken as they join the family for their routine night of television was a brilliant idea.

Amazing Spider-Man 2 Standee
Amazing Spider-Man 2 display courtesy of Big Bang

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Spidey suit is all kinds of good looking. I have to take a minute to gaze in wonder each time I see a new promo shot. I'm not so sure about some of the other designs in the film, but I can't help getting just a bit more excited to finally watch it when I look at this new standee.

Avengers Movie Posters
The Avengers display courtesy of trekbbs.com

Marvel, Marvel, Marvel, amirite? The examples may be a bit one-note in here, but as a major fan of The Avengers there's no way I was going to leave this out! I don't know about you, but I'd love to have this lining my hallway. I'd walk past and high-five each member on my way to breakfast each morning.

Ok, enough shoddy-at-best picture examples, you all know what I'm getting at here! I have no idea how effective these theater lobby displays are at actually convincing people to see a movie if they weren't already going to, but they certainly catch the eye. I usually admire them even if I have absolutely zero interest in whatever they're promoting. I'm sure I'm not alone in how often I've stood before their greatness, desperately wishing I could take them home with me.

The life of the geeky, pop-culture obsessed, materialist collector is a trying one indeed.

You're still here? It's over. But if you'd like, you can make sure you catch my next batch of geekiness by following on Twitter @castlegeekskull or liking on Facebook~

1 comment:

  1. Let me tell you, today I JUST put together a very COMPLICATED display for the New Avengers movie coming up in May. I am a merchandiser and this was my job to go to the Regal Majestic 20 cinema in Silver Spring Md. Man, it took me the better part of 8 hours to do this! I felt like I was having a nervous breakdown because it was so elaborate. It's is not on here. I don't see where I could post a photo of it.

    ReplyDelete