Monday

Will Dead Island 2 Really Have a Sense of Humor? (E3 2014)

Looks like a typical morning in my neighborhood.

If the announce trailer for Dead Island 2 at E3 2014 is any indication of how the game might turn out, it looks as if it might actually be fun. Zombies have become so common in games that it's increasingly easy to throw the "just another zombie game" dismissal around. My sole experience with the first Dead Island was in watching my cousin play a bit, and I admit that's basically what I thought upon first glance. I'm not in the best place to judge, but the tone of this early teaser for the sequel looks quite a bit different.

Despite the first game failing to hook me, I'll probably be interested in giving Dead Island 2 a spin if the game itself does carry the sense of levity and chaos found in the E3 trailer. Of course, games like Dead Rising have proven that the combination of zombies and humor can be a great success. Everything from being oblivious as zombie shenanigans go on in the background to the upbeat soundtrack (Pigeon John's "The Bomb) might even indicate that the amazing Shaun of the Dead may have been an influence here. I would definitely be OK with that.

Insert obvious Anchorman quote here. You know the one.

As it goes on, the trailer devolves into pure madness. I even heard the freaking Wilhelm Scream at one point! Some people may be tired of it, but it's always an easy way to my heart. You can't listen to crazy Ben Burtt (most famously the sound designer for the Star Wars films) DVD commentaries without leaving with a serious love for the Wilhelm. That's a tiny, tiny portion of the trailer however. If you have yet to check it out, you can do so via this lovely Youtube embed:

Ok, that's enough! If you're interested, you can follow on Twitter @castlegeekskull & "like" on Facebook!

1 comment:

  1. I'm not always into zombie games, but this looks awesome. As an LA-native, I love how they depicted the Venice Boardwalk - perfect detail and what a great action sequence. Oh and great use of "The Bomb" by Pigeon John, too. It's perfect, why do we have to wait until 2015 to play this??? This trailer looks like the best zombie film never made

    ReplyDelete