Thursday

I Want To Believe DICE's Passion for Star Wars Battlefront is Real

Early in-engine footage of the Rebel Commando in action on Endor

Maybe its use of famous nostalgic imagery and music is helping pull the wool over my eyes, but I really want to believe the passion displayed by DICE in E3 2014's Star Wars: Battlefront trailer is real:

You might be asking, hey, why wouldn't it be? Well, I suppose I just don't want to get my hopes up too much. We all know how good Star Wars branded media projects can be, but it can really sting when they fall short. We've all been burned by that a time or two. I'd hate to get myself overly excited about the new Battlefront only to be let down in the end.

All of the behind the scenes shots in the trailer are wonderful and stir up tons of nostalgia, but they're clearly designed to do exactly that. Of course, DICE is also trying to say "hey, look, we're putting our all into making this as authentic a Star Wars experience as possible." That's fantastic, but I think it's best to wait for more footage beyond early tests to climb fully aboard the hype train.

I don't tend to play shooters all that often, but I did own the original two Star Wars: Battlefront games. I had a great time with them overall. Just thinking back to them has me wanting to dust off my Playstation 2 for another round or two of Galactic Conquest. If the new game manages to fall in line with the standard set by those (and hopefully even surpass it), then I think we're in for some speeder bike and snowspeeder filled good times. I just don't want to convince myself of too much too soon.

And...done! For future updates, please follow on Twitter @castlegeekskull and "like" on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment