Saturday

This Playstation Optimus Prime Toy is My Childhood Personified

When I saw that Takara Tomy is gearing up to release an Optimus Prime toy that bizarrely transforms into an original Playstation console, it was if they were perfectly summing up my entire childhood. My early years were spent watching the old Transformers cartoon over and over, and my afternoons and weekends were largely occupied with Playstation games as I entered my teens. Regardless of how "out of nowhere" the concept may seem, it was pretty much guaranteed that I'd be all in for Playstation Optimus.

I shamefully never talked about it here, but this is the second time a video game console Transformer has been announced this year. Mega Drive Megatron was unveiled a few months back, and that was even more unexpected. In retrospect,
I wish it had been N64 Megatron to better recreate the mid to late 1990s "console wars."

Even so, seeing Megs decked out with Genesis parts is still pretty cool. I'm not sure if it's one hundred and twenty bucks cool, but the idea is definitely one I can get behind. If this is your first time seeing it, you can click the thumbnail to the left for a better look at the basic design.

I imagine Playstation Optimus Prime will be in a similar price range to Mega Drive Megatron, but there's no official word yet. Either way, I'm going to make damn sure I own one. 2014 marks the 30th anniversary of the Transformers franchise and the 20th for Playstation. I can't think of a better way to celebrate than mashing the two up into one of the weirdest yet most wonderful Transformer toys yet.

Update: New photos featuring the toy in color have surfaced from Autobase Aichi and RadioKaikan. Check 'em out:

Well, that's that! For more, keep an eye on the CGS Twitter & Facebook pages!

No comments:

Post a Comment