Tuesday

The Nintendo 3DS XL NES Edition Has Me Torn

The Nostalgia Gods are merciless indeed.

With the impending release of Super Smash Bros. 4, I've been gearing up to finally purchase a Nintendo 3DS and Wii U. The handheld version releases first, so that's been my initial focus. I've been considering buying used or refurbished to save a bit of cash, perhaps straight from the online Nintendo Store if not eBay or Amazon. I'd just about made up my mind when I saw the shiny new 3DS XL NES Edition pictured above. Cue one of the greatest first world existential crises of our time.

Like most my age, I grew up in a household with the original Nintendo Entertainment System. It's always going to hold a special place in my heart, and I have quite a lot of nostalgic admiration for it. I'm even the sort to consider buying wallets or wristbands I don't need just because they happen to look like NES controllers. This new 3DS taps right into the same vein. Even the freaking box flirts with glory:

I can't. I just can't!

If I decide to go all in on this bad boy, it's going to set me back 200 smackers. That would sting a bit, but monetary concerns can always be dealt with. A more personal point of contention lies within the fact that it's a GameStop exclusive. I'm pretty sure I just heard the Price is Right fail horn.

I'm not usually the type to take on "let's boycott this motherflipper" stances regarding retailers, but I've had enough bad experiences with GameStop to make me want to stay away. Perhaps it'd be silly to dismiss this nostalgically beautiful 3DS over such things, but it is dampening my enthusiasm. Decisions, decisions. I suppose I have until its release date on October 10th to make up my mind.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm not sure where I left my pants. You can keep up with my future blogging adventures through Twitter & Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment