Saturday

14 Toys That Made Me Want To Break The Bank In 2014

Nyaaaah? Nyaaaaah!

Despite taking a step back from amassing action figures and other collectibles over the last few years, my interest in the hobby has remained fully intact. While staying away has obvious financial benefits, I just can't help myself from checking out all of the latest releases. There were all sorts of tempting plastic-crack goodies in 2014, so much so that I actually ended up spending some cash. Oops. Let's look at 14 toys that inspired me to do so!

I loved seeing Original Comic Book Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles figures on store shelves this year. They aren't as swanky as the NECA versions from a few years back, but they're more than acceptable for their considerably lower price point. When I spotted this version of Raphael on the pegs of Target last month, I threw my money at it and never looked back.

With a myriad of tempting figures from the Marvel Legends line this year, I know some of you are probably wondering why I chose to highlight Amazing Spider-Man 2 Spidey. This costume was easily the best part of the movie, and its classic style makes for a gorgeous hunk of plastic. This guy was stocked quite heavily, allowing me plenty of occasions to admire him as I browsed my local toy aisles.

Anything from Gao Gai Gar will always get my immediate attention. Bandai's Super Robot Chogokin Genesic Gao Gai Gar is a mouthful the sort of toy you pose once and never want to move again because it looks so damn perfect as is. That almost sounds like a bad thing, but I'm confident the collectors reading this know exactly what I mean.

The Ghostbusters Ecto-1 is easily one of the most iconic vehicles around. I was immensely pleased to see this fan-voted LEGO set actually see release. I can hear the siren just looking at it.

I adore the cute aesthetic of Good Smile's Nendoroid toys. While Luigi was the first to really catch my eye, Wind Waker Link is easily the shining example. His design fits this style of figure perfectly.

Re-Action figures are all about concept over actual quality. They harken back to the Kenner Toys era where every movie under the sun had an action figure line (even if they were rated R). The Gimp from Pulp Fiction makes for the most hilarious example yet. I was so excited when I first saw it that I jokingly referred to it as "the best action figure ever made."

The Revol Mini Metal Gear Solid Cyborg Ninja captures the character perfectly. I've always had a soft-spot for the design and this figure hits a lot of the right marks. The sculpt is all kinds of sleek and the small scale makes for a perfect desk toy.

Forty years in, the designs from Gorenger (the first Super Sentai series) are still crazy cool. They're very "oldschool," but I love the superhero-meets-daredevil sensibility. Bandai is finally adding the team to their S.H. Figuarts line, and they kicked things off with a beautiful Akarenger in September.

Over in S.H. MonsterArts land, Bandai punched us in the face with Godzilla: Final Wars Gigan. This buzzsaw-chested bastard is one of the most memorable kaijus around. There's no denying the highly toyetic nature of his design, and this figure totally delivers the goods.

Yes, I know. This hunk of junk has been remade again and again. Big-ass vehicles hold a special place in the world of action figures however, and the Turtle Blimps and H.I.S.S. Tanks of the world owe a lot to the Millennium Falcon. Seeing a new release featured proudly on retail end-caps this year hit me with a wave of glowing nostalgic bliss that gave me that wonderful "Oooh, this so cool" feeling all over again.

Look at this guy. Just look. S.H. Figuarts Mario is a god among tiny plastic men. Kneel before him.

If you like toys you could use for shelter, Gigantic Action Scorponok should be your first stop. It might set you back several hundred dollars, but this two-foot tall monstrosity successfully captures the awe you hope for when it comes to the largest Transformers characters. A lot of the other TF releases from 2014 were more essential, but this thing inspires exclamations of "Whoa" like no other.

Bandai, Bandai, Bandai. You'd think I'm some kind of fanboy! Call me what you will, but the Soul of Chogokin Trider G7 figure exemplifies everything that makes me love the Super Robot designs of the 1970s and 80s.

2014 was Batman's 75th Anniversary, and there's been plenty of awesome media for Dark Knight fans to sink their teeth into. One of my favorite reveals of the year was DC Collectibles' lineup of Batman: The Animated Series and New Batman Adventures figures. While quality issues marred the eventual release of TNBA Batman, they haven't taken away from my initial enthusiasm. This was the biggest catalyst for helping me ease back into collecting, so I'm tipping my hat all the same.

Man, what a bunch of blabber. I'm a quiet guy by nature, but when it comes to toys I just won't shut up. If you find that you've been similarly afflicted, I'd love for you to share your own favorites of 2014 in the comments below! Meanwhile, I look forward to whatever plastic nonsense 2015 brings our way.

If you want to keep up to date with Castle Geek-Skull, follow along on Twitter & Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment