Thursday

Hero Buddies Batman Killed Me With Cuteness

Batman plush toy
Oh my goodness.

During my most recent trip to Target, I came across the wonderful Hero Buddies Batman, a 16 inch plush complete with several Kevin Conroy impersonator sound clips. When I first spotted him, I'm pretty sure cartoon hearts shot from my eyes. I'm sure it could be easily dismissed as "just another Batman toy," but it really won me over. Just look at him, so wonderfully chubby and reaching outward as if gesturing for a hug. I can't take it.

Hero Buddies Batman has apparently been out for several months now, but I'd never seen or even heard about it until now. Sometimes the best toy discoveries are those you were unaware of before stumbling upon them! The surprise factor certainly helped, but as I think about it more, a larger part of my affections here may be fueled by nostalgia! The basic style reminds me a lot of Tonka's old "Marvel Power Pals" and "WWF Wrestling Buddies" plush toys from the early 1990s. Check 'em out:

Marvel plush toys
Marvel Power Pals Hulk and Spider-Man. Image scan from Toy Nerd.

I had a Power Pals Spider-Man as a child and I seriously adored him. Mattel's "Hero Buddies" aren't quite as large, but the look and naming scheme really feels like an intentional throwback. Either way, seeing this toy really made my day and I'm glad such things are still being produced. Target's shelf price was still the original $30, but Amazon's Hero Buddies Batman listing has been reduced to an incredibly tempting $16. If I weren't already planning to blow tons of cash on DC Collectibles' Batman the Animated Series figures, I'd definitely consider ordering one myself. You're never too old for cuddly Batman toys. Never.

If you'd like to keep up to date on future posts, feel free to follow on Twitter @castlegeekskull & "like" on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment