Friday

LEGO Batman 3: I'm Not Quite Convinced Yet

Batman's space suit from LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham

So far, my sole experience with the LEGO video games has been playing a bit of LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga. I love LEGO toys and Star Wars, so you'd think I would have had the time of my life. It was too long ago for me to give you a detailed rundown, but it turns out I just didn't have fun with it. I didn't even own the game and I only played a very early portion (based on The Phantom Menace), so I admit it was barely given a fair chance. Still, the initial "eh, whatever" impression stuck, and the LEGO video game releases that followed basically flew under my radar.

I love properties like Indiana Jones, Marvel Superheroes, and Batman, so of course I figured I'd eventually give their corresponding LEGO games a try. However, if they had any real slot on my "yeah, I'll get to that later" list it was probably pretty close to the bottom. Even after hearing many great things and seeing several fun cutscenes, I never found the spark to dive in and finally give the series another shot. After seeing tons of buzz surrounding the new LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham announcement trailer, I thought perhaps the time had finally come.

The World's Finest Comedy Duo

Unfortunately, it hadn't. Despite an almost 30 year love for Batman and an appreciation for the trademark LEGO sense of humor, the scene that played out just didn't hook me. OK, so it shows Batman hanging around in a fancy space suit. I guess that's neat in a goofy way that harkens back to the myriad of crazy specialized costumes that filled the ranks of Kenner Toys' 1990s Batman action figure assortments, but it didn't say "this game is clearly worth your 50 bucks."

Of course, the trailer was simply a teaser to announce the game, so it may be silly for me to get too critical. It seems it was tailored to people already in love with the existing LEGO Batman games however, potentially leaving the rest of us out. I can imagine it would be lame if the teaser had been catered completely to uninitiated filthy casuals, but I could have used just a bit more to show why the game is a must-buy beyond "hey, here's Batman in a space suit."

I don't know. Maybe I'm just being grumpy. Either way, if you want to see what all the fuss is about, here's the LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham announcement trailer in all its glory:

I'd love to know what you think about the matter. Let me know in the comment section below, on Twitter @castlegeekskull, or on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment