Friday

Early Unreal Tournament Reactions Have Warmed My Heart

new Unreal Tournament
A new Unreal Tournament?! I will name it George, and I will hug it, and pet it, and squeeze it!

When I first ventured into the wild world of Twitter this morning, I noticed that Unreal Tournament was trending! After clicking to see what all the fuss was about, I was hit with a massive wave of positivity. This is a serious breath of fresh air after being bummed out by other recent gaming trends like the Tomodachi Life controversy. Early reports indicate that the next UT game will be crowdsourced and completely free (in full, not microtransaction-based) upon its eventual release to Windows, Mac, & Linux. That alone should warrant plenty of praise, but it only piles on from there.

Of course, there are also plenty of hype-bait quotes being thrown around from project team members like "reinventing the FPS," but there does seem to be a sincerity to it all. Also of interest, Epic Games hopes to adopt the practice of allowing players to sell their own mods and other personalized content. Epic's percentage of those sales will apparently be their primary source of monetization after the game's release. It looks as if fan feedback will play an important part in the game's development as well. Steve Polge's blog post has pretty much everything you need to know about Epic's plans thus far. All things considered, it's not hard to see why early reactions would skew towards the positive side. Either way, I'm happy to see that they are!

Unreal Tournament screenshot
Gameplay from 2007's Unreal Tournament 3

With the rare exception of completely transparent cash-grabs, I generally like to root for entertainment media to succeed. I often feel this way even if a particular product isn't "for me." If the intentions of the creators are in the right place, seeing a happy fanbase gives me serious heart-warming vibes. I know all too well how amazing it feels when franchises I'm personally invested in deliver something I love. Despite my personal experience with the Unreal Tournament games being limited to having them on my "I'll get around to playing that eventually" list, I wish for nothing but major success all around as the latest entry progresses.

If you want to see whenever more of this soft, mushy content is released, feel free to follow on Twitter @castlegeekskull & "like" on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment