Thursday

Even the "Worst" Action Figures Still Have Merit!

ToyBiz Spider Man action figure
Web-Suction Hands!

This is Marvel Superheroes Spider-Man, the first in a long line of 1990s Spidey action figure releases from Toy Biz. It hasn't aged well, and it honestly might have been a bit lackluster even at the time of its release. After all, the most significant advancement over the Secret Wars Spidey from six years prior was articulated knees. Big whoop, right? Regardless, when I received this figure on Christmas morning of 1990, I was absolutely awe-struck. I only vaguely remember the exact moment, but I know it was a pretty big deal.

While my Marvel Superheroes Spidey would eventually be "replaced" by more advanced versions down the road, there was a significant chunk of time where I likely considered it my absolute favorite action figure. I played with it and played with it until its weird little suction cups fell off. (Should I chalk that up as another entry for the "out-of-context quotes" collection?) I didn't care how awkwardly proportioned and poorly sculpted it was. I loved Spider-Man, and in my mind, this clumsy plastic version of him was perfect.

Transformers Age of Extinction Titan Figures
Yes, these are really sold with the daring "Titans" assortment name

I can't help thinking back to this when seeing some of the negative reactions to current action figure releases. As a fellow plastic-crack enthusiast, I understand why older action figure collectors would be uninterested in new toys like the Transformers: Age of Extinction Titans. The AoE Titans are simple, non-transforming figures that offer very little in the excitement department (especially those done up in incredibly strange monochromatic color schemes.) However, it must be remembered that we are not their target audience. Is a scathing diatribe about how awful such toys are when compared to what you personally find interesting really necessary?

Don't get me wrong here. I don't mean to judge. I understand the passion that fuels these reactions. I simply hope to share the idea that perhaps even the most shoddily made action figures might actually have some merit. Think back to the experiences you had with the toys of your youth. Just like my Marvel Superheroes Spider-Man, it's a safe bet that many of them lacked flawless likenesses and immaculate sculpting. You probably loved them anyway, right? The same just might be true for young kids that receive toys like Age of Extinction Titan Optimus Prime this year.

Age of Extinction Silver Knight Optimus Prime
Happy Festivus~

No matter how poorly sculpted or articulated, hey, it's still Optimus! For some kids, maybe that'll be enough. Imagination can fill in the blanks from there, just as it did with a lot of the toys we had when we were kids. Nothing is for everyone, but if I could love that goofy old Spider-Man, I know there are kids out there that are going to love today's goofiest offerings. Even the "worst" action figure can become a cherished childhood memory. I think that is worth plenty.

For updates on Castle Geek-Skull's future output, follow on Twitter @castlegeekskull and give a "like" on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment