Monday

Angry Birds Transformers: May As Well Do It Right!

...Bird bots in disguise?

Rovio recently announced that their next Angry Birds crossover will be none other than Angry Birds Transformers. My favorite robots in disguise may be a pretty big deal culturally, but I can't say this is something I ever expected to see. Still, I figure if they're going to do it, they may as well do it right! If the initial promo image for the game is anything to go by, it looks like they just may be.

Do you, in fact, have the touch?

Yeah. The first big promo poster for Angry Birds Transformers is an homage to Don Figueroa's Transformers: The Movie 20th Anniversary DVD artwork. That's above and beyond as far as I'm concerned! Rovio and Hasbro could have easily made a quick buck from the brand names alone, but it looks like some real effort is being put into generating a genuine fusion of both franchises here. That's great to see.

I don't have the most in depth history with Angry Birds. I've never even played any of the games (gasp), but that hasn't stopped me from noticing the franchise on its way to becoming a big ol' phenomenon. It's one of those game series that just seemed to be huge one day. The plush toys were everywhere, Craig Ferguson began name dropping it on The Late Late Show just about every night, and it even turned up in the groan-worthy G.I. Joe Retaliation flick. Once I saw the Angry Birds Star Wars crossover, it was clear I was missing out on something major.

Still, the Angry Birds Transformers announcement is the first time I've really heard anything about the franchise since. I might not have been personally invested, but I'm glad to see the Star Wars mash-up did well enough for Rovio to consider other big name tie-ins. Time will tell if throwing Autobot and Decepticon analogues into the mix will inspire me to finally give the franchise a shot, but at the very least, the promo poster definitely made me smile. I hope the game goes on to have great success.

Hey. Do you want to see whenever more of these posts hit the webs? Well then, feel free to follow me on Twitter (@castlegeekskull) and like my page on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment