Sunday

Castle Geek-Skull's French Toast Crunch Review

Bursting with cinnamon and syrup taste.

There was a time in my life where sugary kid's cereal was a fairly regular part of my diet, and I'm a devout follower of the gospel of Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Its tiny little squares make up one of the godliest varieties of tooth-destroying breakfast you'll ever find. You'd think I would've been way down to clown with its spin-off French Toast Crunch, but I managed to miss the boat entirely.

Somehow, I'm not sure I even knew French Toast Crunch existed until it was already off of the shelves. Fortunately, it proved popular enough for General Mills to recently bring it back after an 8 year hiatus. Now, it's time to see what all the fuss is about.

Toasty.

In a smart move, the current release utilizes the original toast shape. This might be the most adorable cereal I've ever had. (Looking at it reminds me of an equally adorable song about toast I once heard.) The photograph above honestly doesn't do it justice. I should be ashamed. In person, this stuff has an inviting golden glow that pretty much says "put me in your mouth right now."

We keep it pretty fancy here at Castle Geek-Skull.

I was more than happy to comply. Surprisingly, French Toast Crunch is fairly mild. It's definitely not as sweet as the classic Cinnamon variety. The taste was a bit hard for me to pin down at first, but a strong hint of syrup eventually came through. I think I just might like it.

Unfortunately, knowing I would review it kept me from digging it as much as I would have otherwise. Cereal is best enjoyed when your primary focus is elsewhere, i.e. watching cartoons at 4 in the morning. (Don't judge.) Dogged scrutiny isn't ideal, but it certainly added a few new layers to the journey.

Perhaps my taste buds were having an "off" day — or I might just be freaking crazy — but without milk I thought it tasted like Captain Crunch. The smell then reminded me of Cookie Crisp, which I actually despised as a kid. It all fell into place once I grasped what they're going for with the syrupy vibe, but that was several spoonfuls in.

I always wonder how much real "food" content is in this sort of stuff these days, but hey, YOLO! LOL, I am most certainly a hilarious individual. Now, let's keep this party atmosphere going with a look at the funky 1990s tribute on the back of the box.

Were you 'DA BOMB?!

Man, way to make me feel old.

It'd been quite a while since I went down the sugary kid cereal road, but I couldn't help myself this time. The return of French Toast Crunch has been much-hyped, and everybody's doin' it, man. I feel as if a giant void in my life has finally been filled. This isn't going to be a regular purchase, but it made for a nice one-off. I hope it sticks around for a good while.

Keep up to date with Castle Geek-Skull via Twitter & Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment